Monday, August 20, 2012

1st GF Lunch!

So - last night after dinner and before the official "clean up"...I made the kids lunches.


Cut up strawberries & blueberries
Quaker Cheddar Cheese Rice Snacks
Go-gurt
Milk
Sandwich Kabobs

My "Sandwich Kabob" was made using GF bread (that I had made in my bread maker that afternoon - recipe below), GF Boars Head lunch meat, and a cheese stick.  I just cut all the pieces up small, and threaded them on a bamboo skewer.  I thought they were fun....I  just hope my kids eat them!!! haha








Breakfast this morning was not as much of a success in my opinion...
Kendall had a blueberry muffin, a banana, and a yogurt. Carson had a bowl of GF Rice Krispy cereal and a banana.  The blueberry muffin that my daughter inhaled yesterday...only got a couple of nibbles this morning (in fact - Jeff finished it for her)...and the cereal...well...we had to force Carson to eat even half of it.   I think Kendall will do okay with this new way of eating - she is (finally) getting pretty good about eating anything we put in front of her (this has been a good 2-3 year battle...).  BUT Carson is more stubborn than Kendall ever was...it will be a fight with him I think...

Anyway - here is the recipe (that I got from my good friend J. Quinn).  I didn't have everything on the ingredients list...so did a little substitutions (I didn't have the same GF Bread flour).  Also - I told the bread machine to make the bread "medium" color...next time I'll do light - it came out pretty dark - almost burnt - BUT it still tasted really good!


Gluten-Free Bread
(for the Bread machine)


  • 1 packet or 2¼ tsp dry yeast (not quick rise)
  • 7 TBSP milk, boiled for 45 seconds in microwave
  • 1 TBSP Pamela’s Baking Flour and 1 TBSP Sugar (for yeast mixture)
  • 3 Large Eggs (room temperature)
  • ¼  Butter, melted
  • 1 Cup Warm Milk
  • 2 TBSP Honey
  • 2 Cups Pamela’s Baking Flour
  • 1 ½ Cups Pamela’s Bread Flour 
  • ¼ Cup Sugar
  • 1 ¼ tsps Xanthan Gum
  • 1 tsp Baking Soda
  • ½ tsp Salt


1.     Heat milk (110F); add the yeast, 1 TBSP flour and 1 TBSP sugar.  Stir until well blended, cover with a light towel and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2.     Mix eggs, Butter, warm milk, honey and yeast mixture in Bread machine.
3.     Mix both flours, xanthan gum, salt, sugar and baking soda in a bowl.  Add to liquid in the bread machine.
4.     After bread machine begins scrape down the sides as it all mixes in.
5.     When the bread is finished place upside-down on a cooling rack when complete.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment