Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Yummy GF Chicken dinner

This has actually been a favorite (of me and Jeff at least) for a while now.  But...it is a GF recipe - so I wanted to share it! :) I wish I knew where I originally got the recipe from so I can credit that chef - because we love it.

Here is the full recipe - then I'll explain what I did differently:

GRILLED BRUSCHETTA CHICKEN

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp leaves basil (I used dried and it worked fine - but I'm sure fresh would be better)
4 Tbsp Sun-dried Tomato Vinaigrette dressing, fat free
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I typically buy about 2 pound packages..)
1 large whole tomato

  1. Place a large sheet of heavy duty foil over half of grill grate.  Pre-heat grill to medium heat.
  2. Pour 2 tablespoons of dressing over chicken in a re-sealable plastic bag.  Seal bag and turn over several times to evenly coat chicken with the dressing.  Refrigerate for 10 minutes to marinate.
  3. Remove chicken from marinade and discard bag and remaining marinade
  4. Grill chicken on uncovered side of grill for 6 minutes.  Meanwhile, chop the tomato finely and combine tomatoes, cheese, basil and remaining 2 tablespoons of dressing.
  5. Turn chicken over and place cooked side up on foil on grill.  Top evenly with tomato mixture.  Close lid.  Grill additional 8 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.



Here is what I did – before marinating my chicken, I pounded them a little thinner.  I didn't go overboard - but they were about 1/4 inch thick or so when I was done.  Also - if you have time to marinate them longer than 10 minutes - I find it adds a LOT more flavor.  I think I've even done overnight...

My chicken almost done being pounded, along with the other ingredients.

Chicken marinating

Also - I normally marinate my chicken in a gallon ziplock bag...but I didn't realize we were out of them at home...so...I improvised.  I think the ziplock bag works much better...


Next - I chopped up two of the tomatoes - they were both relatively small - but I also like to have a little extra of the bruschetta topping...  

Tomatoes, dressing, basil & cheese all mixed in together.

One quick note on the cheese...the very first time I made this...I didn't have the shredded cheese.  All I had was the kids mozzarella string cheese.  So I chopped up about 4 sticks of it and used that.  Honestly - I think using that tasted better than the shredded does...

Next, I put my chicken on a non-stick grill pan that I use on my stove top (you can also use a non-stick sauté pan), and cooked on each side for about 3 minutes...

Chicken just placed in the pan...

...then transferred them to a casserole.

Cooked chicken now in a casserole dish.

 Next - I poured the tomato mixture on top of the chicken. (I also sprinkled a little garlic powder and some fresh cracked pepper on top)


And baked at 350 degrees for approximately 15 minutes... 

Final Plate

Tonight I served the chicken with a GF Rice Penne and green beans.  It is FANTASTIC!  Lots of flavor!  

Oh - and one other great thing about this recipe (not including the pasta or green beans) - besides it being Gluten Free - it is low in calories and fat!!!  One serving (yields 4 per the recipe) is 318 calories (54 calories from fat), 6 g of fat, 3.66 g of carbs, and 58.72 g of protein!!!

I hope you try it and like it!!!  My kids...well...Kendall would eat some of the chicken (without the tomatoes on it)...Carson is as stubborn as ever...



No comments:

Post a Comment